Keep the colds and flu at bay with this delicious fresh turmeric smoothie
Fresh turmeric root is a delicious ingredient to add to soups, stews and curries. It also works well in smoothie and is best combined with a touch of black pepper to improve the absorption of the nutrients.
According to latest research, curcumin found in the turmeric root has protective health effects including anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Curcumin can play an important role against neurological, cancer, cardiovascular and lung diseases, and also against metabolic syndrome and liver disorders. Time to include this fantastic spice in your diet! You can start with this fresh turmeric smoothie.
Ingredients (makes 1 large glass)
- 2 large kale leaves (stalks removed) – equivalent to a large handful
- 1/2 banana
- 1 handful of frozen blueberries
- 1 teaspoon of fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon of fresh turmeric (watch out because turmeric can stain your work surfaces!)
- 1 pinch of black pepper (this is to improve the absoption of curcumin in the body)
- 1 tablespoon flaxseeds
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed oil or coconut oil
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon honey (optional)
- Prepare the ingredients and add to a blender.
- Blend until completely smooth.
- Pour in a glass and enjoy!
If you feel that you and your family would benefit from a little help in the kitchen, I run very informal cooking workshops. Visit this section of the website to find out more.