Gluten Free Carrot Cake
June 17, 2016||
Gluten Free Carrot Cake with Cashew and Orange Frosting
Suitable for GLUTEN FREE diets
This gluten-free carrot cake has a really nice texture and rich flavour thanks to the coconut sugar.
For the carrot cake
- Melted coconut oil for oiling + 125ml for the batter
- 100g coconut sugar
- 3 medium eggs at room temperature
- 225g gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon of xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 2 tablespoon milk of your choice
- 250g carrots, grated
For the cashew frosting
- 150g cashews, pre-soaked overnight and rinsed
- 100ml agave syrup or honey
- Juice and zest of 1/2 orange
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 heaped teaspoon coconut oil
- Preheat the oven at 180 Celsius / gas mark 4. Oil a 23 x 13 x 7cm loaf tin and base-line with baking parchment.
- Tip the sugar into a large mixing bowl. Using a hand-held electric mixer, whisk in the melted coconut oil and the eggs, one at a time.
- Sift together the flour, xanthan gum, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and mixed spice and add this to the bowl, stirring well. Add the milk and stir well to loosen the mixture. Stir in the grated carrots and mix all the ingredients evenly.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 40-45 minutes, until firm and springy in the centre and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Turn the cake out of the tin, remove the baking parchment and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting, drain and rinse the cashews and blend in a high-speed blender with the agave / honey, orange juice and zest, orange extract, coconut oil and two tablespoon of water. Scrape the sides frequently until it becomes completely smooth, adding more water if necessary. Refrigerate until needed.
- Spread the frosting over the cake, once the cake is cool. Sprinkle with orange zest and cut into slices to serve.