Chicken Broth – To heal, comfort and nourish your body
This recipe is provided by Jessica Drummond, MPT, CCN, CHC, the Founder and CEO of The Integrative Women’s Health Institute in the US. It is very simple to prepare and your body will love it. Whether you just had a baby, or if you are recovering from an illness, this broth is just what your body needs. It is healing, comforting and nourishing.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 12 hours in a slow cooker (2 to 3 hours is also good)
FOR THE BROTH
- 1 chicken carcass (cook a whole chicken and keep the bones to make the broth) or chicken pieces previously roasted or raw.
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 celery stalks, cleaned and chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons of raw apple cider vinegar
- Put the chicken bones or pieces in a slow cooker.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and cover with water.
- Cover and bring to the boil (on high) and cook for 30 minutes. Remove scum from the top.
- Add the vegetables and cook for 12 hours (can be cooked up to 24 hours for best results).
- Strain the broth to use as it is or as a base for soups and stews.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Visit the recipe section of the website for more tasty ideas.