High Protein Chickpea And Vegetable Miso Stew
Recipe inspired by The Full Helping.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves: 6 to 8
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1.5-litre broth (vegetable or chicken)
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 3 tablespoons miso
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 sweet potatoes, cubed
- 3 parsnips, sliced
- 1 handful of chopped kale or Swiss chard (stems removed)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lemon juice
- Add the olive oil to a saucepan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion and celery. Cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the onion is clear and tender. Add the garlic and cook for another minute, stirring constantly. Add the chickpeas, broth, and paprika to the pot. Bring the broth to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes, then turn off the heat.
- Place the miso in a small bowl. Use a ladle to transfer a small amount (about 1 ladle) of broth to the bowl. Whisk the miso with the broth to create a smooth mixture, then transfer back to the soup pot. Stir the soup. Place about half of the soup into a standing blender and blend till it’s totally smooth, then return it to the pot; alternately, you can use an immersion blender to puree half the soup. Stir again.
- Add the carrots, the sweet potatoes, the parsnips, and kale (if using Swiss chard, add a few minutes before serving) to the pot. Bring the soup back to a low simmer. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until all of the vegetables are tender. Taste the soup and add salt, pepper, and lemon juice as needed. Serve.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Visit the recipe section of the website for more tasty ideas.