Warming Lentil Soup with Ginger & Turmeric
Warming Lentil Soup
This recipe is ideal for new mothers as well as the rest of the family. It is filling and rich in protein thanks to the lentils and the sweet potatoes bring plenty of beneficial nutrients such as the antioxidant beta-carotene as well as iron, calcium, selenium. Sweet potatoes are a great source of most of our B vitamins and vitamin C which are essential to maintain our energy levels. The ginger and turmeric are both anti-inflammatory spices, helping to prevent illnesses. Curcumin present in the turmeric root is known to offer many health benefits. To find out more, read Dr Axe article on the benefits of curcumin.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon of butter or organic coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons of fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons of fresh turmeric, grated (or ground if you can’t find fresh)
- 200g red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 4 small to medium sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1.5l of chicken broth or vegetable stock
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons of fresh coriander, chopped
- Heat butter to coconut oil in a large pan over low heat.
- Cook ginger and turmeric until the mixture is fragrant.
- Add sweet potatoes, lentils, and the broth or stock to pan. Simmer, covered for about 15 minutes or until the lentils and potatoes are just tender.
- Finish with coconut milk and fresh coriander leaves. Stir to combine.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Visit the recipe section of the website for more tasty ideas.