From poor digestive health to full energy
My Nutrition Story – A focus on digestive health
Discomfort from poor digestive health such as feeling bloated can be so debilitating. The list of symptoms is very long and can include:
- feeling bloated,
- mouth ulcers,
- small intestinal bacterial overgrowth,
- candida or yeast overgrowth,
- and more severe conditions.
I have suffered from a long-lasting issue with my gut and this is the reason why I decided to study nutrition. I was unable to improve my condition with the help of conventional doctors. So I decided to take my health into my own hands. What I discovered changed my life forever. Helping people feel great through food and lifestyle strategies has become my passion and mission as a result of this journey.
What symptoms did I experience? – constant bloating – unbearable after certain foods – IBS symptoms with diarrhea (sorry TMI!!) – Hormone imbalance (sore breasts were the worse thing to live with) – Low energy (not right in your 30’s
THE THINGS I TRIED
While studying for my diploma, I tried so many things:
- a gluten-free diet (helped massively but not enough to make me feel “normal”
- a dairy-free diet (helped manage hormones)
- I reduced caffeine (helped with hormones and energy)
- I did the FODMAP diet (identified trigger foods like cauliflower and red kidney beans)
- I removed sugar completely ( this helped to improve my FSH levels for fertility)
- I balanced my blood sugar levels ( I used to rely on sugar for energy and faint regularly!!!)
- I introduced a LOT MORE vegetables ( I thought I was reasonably healthy)
And guess what? I still didn’t feel great. So I then looked into testing.
I did the following:
- hair analysis (identified heavy metals in my body and also mineral deficiencies)
- stool test (identified dysbiosis also called leaky gut with an imbalance of bacteria and presence of candida).
- Vitamin and mineral status to identify any deficiencies
- Hormonal tests including the Dutch Test.
- Genetic tests to identify the nutrients my body is not absorbing. This particular one has been life-changing. Once you know what your body is missing, you can take action and start to feel better.
LEAKY GUT PROGRAMME
With this information, I was finally able to tackle the issue head-on focusing on the right areas. I did a leaky gut healing programne for about 6 months. And I finally got my life back. No more bloating!!! I am now able to eat a good quality sourdough bread and the occasional pasta although I now prefer buckwheat pasta as they are more nutritious. I can also eat cauliflower which was one of my trigger foods.
THE UNDERLYING CAUSE
So what was the underlying cause of my digestive issues? Well, after 3 years of study and another year of research, I finally found my trigger: it was severe food poisoning while abroad.
ALWAYS LEARNING MORE
I find gut health truly fascinating. It impacts energy, nutrient absorption, hormone balance, weight management, skin health, allergies, and so many other areas. I am always attending conferences on this topic to learn about the latest research and discoveries. If you feel that your digestion is not optimal, feel free to get in touch. We can have a chat to explore how personal nutrition can make you feel better. You can contact me via email at email@example.com or you can call me on 07983335647.
Did you enjoy this article? You may also enjoy the following: