Warming Spicy Butternut and Sweet Potato Soup
Spicy Butternut and Sweet potato soup: warming hints of ginger and turmeric
Fresh turmeric root is a delicious ingredient to add to soups, stews and curries. It is best combined with a touch of black pepper to improve the absorption of the nutrients.
According to latest research, curcumin found in the turmeric root has protective health effects including anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Curcumin can play an important role against neurological, cancer, cardiovascular and lung diseases, and also against metabolic syndrome and liver disorders. Time to include this fantastic spice in your diet! You can start with this delicious soup.
Ingredients (makes 2 servings)
- 2 handfuls of butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 small leeks or 1 large one, trimmed, washed and sliced
- 1 teaspoon of grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon of grated fresh turmeric (watch out because turmeric can stain your work surfaces!)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 pinch of black pepper (this is to improve the absorption of curcumin in the body)
- 1 tablespoon butter or ghee
- 500ml vegetable stock
- Prepare the ingredients. Melt the butter or ghee and add the butternut squash cubes and the sliced leeks
- Add all the spices and cook for a 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato and the vegetable stock.
- Cook until all the vegetables are tender (about 20 minutes)
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes and blend until smooth.
If you feel that you and your family would benefit from a little help in the kitchen, I run very informal cooking workshops. Visit this section of the website to find out more.